Komintern Artillery Tractor

Building couple of Stalinetz ChTZ-65 tractors, and one Voroshilovets, I decided to complete the circle by completing all of theirs Artillery towers. That includes Komintern tractor as well. My expectations were kinda low, due to the fact that
I didn’t liked the tracks and the windows of the Voroshilovets, and I didn’t bother to get /at least/ Friuls for it.
The thing is, even with that lesson learned, for Komintern tractor there is no aftermarket tracks, and eventually all the Voyager set installed, with feature only thinned engine cowlings, but not so much different than the kit’s.
Even with that in mind, I got the kit, and I must admit that I underestimated that one. The simplicity of the Stalinets makes it a wonderful starting point. But the flaws with the windows and tracks of the Voroshilovets lets your hopes down. Interestingly, the Komintern is right between those two.
It is fairly simple, and the build it straight forward, as the Stalinets. The windows are like Voroshilovetz /which is not so good/ but, the tracks are better looking.
At first they seemed the same to me, but for whatever reason, /it might be appearance of the real vehicle/ they look far nicer once built.

The building process is simple, and the fit is good enough to let you leave the cab of the vehicle unglued in order to finish the interior properly. The rear /wooden/ section can be left aside too. And easily. There is also not a lot of small parts, but they are enough to bring joy to some of modelers out there, and all-in-all, the kit worth the money and the try.
My decision to make it winter /again/ was based on some techniques that I saw in one video and one book. Plus one very decent advice from Mike Rinaldi – to use masks always when possible and to avoid decals.
So I gave it a try and built it alongside two new winter /captured – again!/ Su-152 and KV-1.
The results were quite different as you might compare from the pictures in the articles of this blog. The Su-152 got some kind of blended appearance, KV-1 came out too sharp, and in my opinion, Komintern ended best of them all.

The streaks were done with oils, not any aftermarket goodies. The filters and washes too. The difference from the other two was that all the washes were used several times and that was done in order to make the weathering heavier, or more properly said – with several layers.
Also, important to mention that the varnishes were avoided at maximum. In other words – only one layer of varnish between the filter and the following weathering – straking, sponge chipping and so on.
The result is small, but cute model, with worn look, almost like a junkyard vehicle. As far as I know, that is what it should look like, or looked like. Captured – because I don’t like Russian stuff and I admire German stuff. And one more important thing – that was proof that DN Models mask set /German Stencils/ is working properly and you can achieve great result when using properly.
Now, I look forward for your comments and emails….
Thanx for watching!